Rodgers’ (Music) Stores
25 Norfolk Market Hall
“Music seller” sleeve has rubber stamp giving address, later sleeve is printed. Sold mainly sheet music and records (as well as?). Norfolk Market Hall was also home to Gillibrands selling records. Market Hall demolished 1959.
Rodgers also listed at 34 Haymarket (in Sheffield & District Trades Directory 1927-28)
Russell & Russell Ltd
138 & 140 The Moor
“The Gramophone House” service – satisfaction.
Pianos (by the leading makers), gramophones, records. Premises destroyed in WW2
518a London Road.
Instruments, records. Columbia Grafanolas (these were record players with internal horns) and radios. “Always every records in stock. Private audition rooms. Instruments sold for cash or on deferred terms.” Premises demolished 2013.
93 Main Road (opp Lyric Picture House)
203 Attercliffe Common
“for Pianos, organs, gramophones, etc.”
Savage’s shop on Main Road must have been close to the Music Box (see separate entry). This side of the street has been redeveloped since (the Lyric Cinema has also gone). Savage was listed in Whites Directory at 203 in 1905 and 1911. They were still listed at 203 in the 1959 and 1973 Kellys Directory. Most of this area was demolished in the late 1970s.
105 Infirmary Road
Another Electrical and mechanical engineer, also selling radios and cycles, who must have sold records for a while in the early 1920s. This area of Infirmary Road was demolished in the 1950s to make way for the Kelvin Flats.
See also Hobson & Allen, and Pownalls close by, who also sold records.
Sheffield Phonograph Company
Listed as selling records in the Sheffield & District Trades Directory 1927-28, no sleeve found. Not to be confused with the Sheffield Phonograph Company indie record label operating in the city!
78 Leppings Lane
Radio and television dealers who also sold a few records in plain sleeves with a rubber stamp overprint for a while.